Whether you meet with a tutor once per week or multiple times each week, it is important to maximize every minute spent with your tutor. Tutors are helpful in working through challenging content by providing encouragement, motivation, and clarity. For tutoring sessions to be effective for the student, it is essential that the tutor and student are adequately prepared.
Here are a few things that you can do to prepare for your tutoring session:
- Make sure that you attend class. Your tutor will not able to go over all that your teacher does during class. Your job is to make sure that you are able to tell your tutor what material to cover so that the most important concepts/questions are explained. Review your notes before your tutoring session. Make a list of everything that you are struggling with so that your tutor can go over the important content.
- Take thorough notes during your tutoring session. Consider having one notebook that you use for your tutoring notes so that they are in the same place and not scattered in various notebooks. The notes that you acquire during your tutoring session can be used later as a reference for concepts that are hard to understand and to prepare for an exam.
- Make sure you strategically schedule your tutoring session. The location of the tutoring session is important since it will be most effective in a place that is comfortable for you with few distractions, such as in a library or your home. The time that you schedule your tutoring session is also very important. Avoid scheduling your tutoring session right after a long day of classes or during mealtimes. Give yourself a little time to wind down after a full day of classes before having a tutoring session. This will help you feel alert and focused for you session.
- Be honest with yourself and your tutor. Speak up and tell your tutor everything that you do not understand. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Your tutor is there to explain a concept in a way that you are able to understand. Provide your tutor with feedback on what teaching methods seem to be working the best and which ones are not as effective. This will help tutors know how to teach you in a meaningful way that you can easily grasp.
- Review your notes often. Studying should not end after your tutoring session. It is very important to continuously review notes from your class and tutoring session to keep your acquired knowledge at the forefront of your mind. Briefly review the notes from your last tutoring session in order to refresh your memory before upcoming tutoring sessions.
- Have a positive attitude. Your outlook on the tutoring session significantly impacts how the sessions will go. Maintain a “can-learn” attitude which will help you get through any possible stumbling blocks. Staying positive is essential in boosting your confidence which will affect your ability to learn.
Following these tips will help you enjoy and get the most out of your tutoring sessions. As the fall semester approaches, take some time to plan out how you you will use some of these tips to maximize your tutoring sessions. Having a productive tutoring session is important, but enjoying your tutoring sessions is equally important. Plan ahead to make sure that the tutoring sessions are convenient for you and maintain a positive attitude to foster excitement for learning.